Film news

Locations Fix – Marvellous Merton

23rd October 2014
Thoroughly modern Merton civic centre. Pic: Jane Soans
Thoroughly modern Merton civic centre. Pic: Jane Soans

It’s not all Wombles – Merton’s fantastic mix of hyper modern offices, shopping malls, cobble stone village streets, period homes, grand parks and tonnes of parking provide filmmakers choice enough without ever leaving the borough.

So head west to marvellous Merton, check off a script full of locations, and bring your wagon train (or unit base) – there’s plenty of space for everyone.

It’s love all – Wimbledon Park

Slap bang next to the world-famous All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon Park has 20 tennis courts along with its many other sporting facilities.

The quintessential English park with gliding swans, weeping willows and a shimmering boating lake, it was designed by the celebrated landscape architect Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, and it’s Grade II listed.

Take a look at our photos here.

Historic and stately – Cannizaro Park

Overlooked by a period villa, this 200-year-old park covers 35 acres and backs on to Wimbledon Common.

Originally the gardens belonged to Warren House (now Cannizaro House Hotel) – the home of the Duke of Cannizzaro. The park opened to the public in 1949.

It includes a rose garden, azalea dell, water garden, Italian garden, Mediterranean garden, and woodland.

There’s a handy café and toilet, and unit base parking nearby.

There’s more information here.

Thoroughly modern Merton – the Civic Centre 

This striking glass building was designed in the late 50s and built in the early 60s.

Light-filled and angular, the space includes a council chamber which doubles as a modern courtroom, and the sumptuous Mayor’s parlour which also works as a corporate high-flier’s city office.

The sleek library, meeting and waiting rooms are also available for filming.

There’s more information here.

William Morris and Merton Abbey Mills
 
This former textile factory near the site of the medieval Merton Priory is now a crafts market, the site of a summer theatre, a music festival called Abbeyfest, and a cosy pub.
 
A number of buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries survive, along with a recently restored 19th-century waterwheel. The wheel draws its power from the River Wandle which is easily accessible from here.
 
There have been textile works nearby since 1667; the rich history includes Huguenot silk throwers in the early eighteenth century; the great artist and textile designer William Morris buying the workshops there in 1881, and Liberty & Co long using the site.
 
There’s more information here